Let’s be honest, it is annoying to pay extra money for certificates, especially for operators of private websites or even small non-profit portals, which don’t actually seem necessary for operation of your website. What if the certificates were free and even trivial to deploy and manage? Would you then consider to have SSL certificates on your website? With SnackHost Cloud Hosting you don’t need to think twice. Top-level security for your website or server goes together with enjoying our services. In just a few clicks you’ll get trusted SSL certificates and save same money too!
Now let’s get back to the principles of Let’s Encrypt services that SnackHost supports. Their aim is to create an automated certificate authority that will issue trusted SSL certificates for web use. The organization claims that the main principles of the service are:
- Free: Anyone who owns a domain name can use Let’s Encrypt to obtain a trusted certificate at zero cost.
- Automatic: Software running on a web server can interact with Let’s Encrypt to painlessly obtain a certificate, securely configure it for use, and automatically take care of renewal.
- Secure: Let’s Encrypt will serve as a platform for advancing TLS security best practices, both on the CA side and by helping site operators properly secure their servers.
- Transparent: All certificates issued or revoked will be publicly recorded and available for anyone to inspect.
- Open: The automatic issuance and renewal protocol will be published as an open standard that others can adopt.
- Cooperative: Much like the underlying Internet protocols themselves, Let’s Encrypt is a joint effort to benefit the community, beyond the control of any one organization.
Credibility? Ensured by cross-signing.
The intermediate certificate Let’s Encrypt Intermediate X1 will be in addition to the standard root certificate (ISRG Root X1) also signed by another authority IdenTrust, which is now commonly in the list of trusted authorities. They will be therefore two alternative routes and the software will choose the credible one.